You Paiva walkways keep in arouca and have been one of many nice sights of the area for a while now. Nailed within the laborious rock, they meander alongside the banks of the river, in an amazing journey that leaves nobody detached.
Along with bodily train (demanding in some areas), they mean you can get to know a phenomenal pure space up shut and even cross the biggest suspended pedestrian bridge on the earth.
So, should you like trails and haven’t visited the Passadiços do Paiva but, know that there are 8 kilometers of direct contact with nature, by a panorama that till lately was virtually wild and really tough to entry, to not say inconceivable in some sections.
Admittedly, the journey is lengthy and thought of of excessive problem, however every one among its meters is value it.
Passadiços do Paiva: 8 kilometers at your disposal
The walkways are on the left financial institution of the Paiva river, extra exactly within the municipality of Arouca, district of Aveiro.
For 8 kilometres, you’ll comply with a path that constitutes a real “pure sanctuary”, the place Nature stays untouched and in its purest state.
There are whitewater descents, quartz crystals and endangered species on the European continent. You’ll additionally go by seashores such because the river seashores of Areinho, Vau and Espiunca.
When you like nature, and notably biology, geology and archaeology, then it is a journey you can not miss.
Inserted within the territory of the Arouca Geopark, Geological Heritage of Humanity by UNESCO, the worth of those walkways has been acknowledged, even internationally, which is why they’ve acquired for 4 consecutive years (from 2016 to 2019) distinction of the World Journey Awards.
Longest pedestrian suspension bridge on the earth
Step by step, the Passadiços do Paiva are nonetheless discovering new methods to draw the general public to this gorgeous panorama. Now, one of many nice sights is the longest pedestrian suspension bridge on the earth.
Positioned subsequent to the Aguieiras Waterfall geosite and near the escarpment often called Garganta do Paiva, the bridge is 516 meters lengthy, with a railing deck and a usable width of 1.20 metres.
- Departure: Areinho / Espiunca
- Distance to Journey: 8700m (linear)
- Common length: 2h30
- Problem stage: excessive
- Ranges: accentuated
- Route Sort: brief route
- Scope: sports activities, cultural, environmental and panorama
- Advisable season: all 12 months spherical
- Passage by the Geosites of: Garganta do Paiva (G36); Cascade das Aguieiras (G35); Praia Fluvial do Vau (G30); Soar Collar (G31); Pioneer Fault (G32).
Tickets, costs and occasions
The Passadiços do Paiva web site affords a collection of on-line companies, together with the acquisition of tickets. When you purchase on-line, costs are decrease and extra advantageous.
Relying on the season, the price of tickets can vary from €1 to €2 (off-season) or from €2 to €4 (excessive season), all the time being the most affordable value for the acquisition on the web site. Youngsters below 10 years outdated don’t pay.
As for opening hours, additionally they fluctuate in response to the time of 12 months. On the whole, the walkways open between 8:00 am and 9:00 am. Its closure will be between 5 pm (October to March) and eight pm (Could and September).
The walkways might shut as a result of pure causes (fires, adversarial climate situations, and so forth.) or for upkeep causes.
- Coming from the North (through A1): Exit Santa Maria da Feira > São João da Madeira > Vale de Cambra > Arouca > Areinho. Estimated journey time: 60 minutes
- Coming from the North (through A32): Exit Carregosa/Pindelo > Vale de Cambra > Arouca > Areinho. Estimated journey time: 50 minutes
- Coming from the South (through A1): Exit Estarreja>Oliveira de Azeméis>Vale de Cambra > Arouca > Areinho. Estimated journey time: 60 minutes
- coming from the inside (through A25): Exit Porto A1 > Oliveira de Azeméis > Vale de Cambra > Arouca > Areinho. Estimated journey time: 65 minutes
- Coming from Cinfães/Castelo de Paiva/Castro Daire: Nationwide Street 225 > Alvarenga > Areinho. Estimated journey time: 10 minutes
Paiva walkways: suggestions
- Strolling in a gaggle;
- Stroll the walkway through the day;
- Put on applicable clothes and footwear;
- Don’t harm the fauna or flora;
- Don’t be accompanied by music gadgets, prams, animals;
- No smoking, bonfires, tenting or excessive sports activities;
- Respect official indications;
- Within the case of a return journey, you could begin the route at Espiunca;
- All the time carry water and a bag to herald your garbage;
- On sunny days, apply sunscreen;
- If you want, you can also make an interpreted go to, accompanied by a information;
- On the ends of the walkways (Espiunca and Areinho), there are cafeterias and automotive parks;
- The Passadiços do Paiva route is just not tailored for folks in wheelchairs.
Paiva walkways: what to eat
In fact, a protracted stroll works up an urge for food. And as we’re within the land of Arouquese meat, there’s nothing like attempting a phenomenal veal or a succulent steak at Casa dos Bifes Silva, in Alvarenga, just a few kilometers from the walkways.
Surrounded by inexperienced fields and landscapes worthy of a go to, this home offers you with moments of nice pleasure, beginning with the veal roasted in a wooden oven, passing by the succulent steak “Alvarenga model”, there are dishes for all tastes.
If you’re more proficient at consuming open air, you may all the time take your lunch and have a picnic by the river, taking the chance for a refreshing swim. However take note of all of the indications and, above all, don’t depart any garbage behind. Have enjoyable on the Paiva Walkways.
What are you able to see in Arouca
That is additionally a superb alternative to get to know Arouca and a few of its primary vacationer sights. You’ll be able to leap to disabled Mines of Regoufe (which through the tungsten fever have been a significant industrial hub), take a protracted stroll by the improbable Serra da Freita and even see the distinctive phenomenon of birthing stones.
One other focal point will definitely be the Monastery of Santa Maria de Arouca. the monastery of Arouca. Completely feminine since 1154, it gained prominence at a nationwide stage, particularly from the thirteenth century onwards, after the entry of D. Mafalda, daughter of King D. Sancho I, whose tomb stays there.
It’s also there that the Museum of Arouca is positioned, probably the greatest regional collections of non secular artwork within the nation, with superb work, sculptures, furnishings and silverware from the sixteenth to 18th centuries.
It additionally retains a set of music books, uncommon and of excessive historic curiosity, consisting of manuscript codices and liturgical and musical prints, relationship from the start of the thirteenth century to the nineteenth century.